Diary of a Mad SAHM

Don't ask me - I just vent here.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Is it me...or is it them?

What a weird week.

The week started off with the news of Chris Benoit's suicide, and his alleged homicide of his wife and 7-year old son. DH is a wrestling fan, has been since he was a young boy; and when we tuned into the WWE Monday night to find "Remembering Chris Benoit" - a tribute to his career, we were both completely shocked. As the week wore on, and the gruesome details began to reveal themselves, I found myself walking around with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Strange as it sounds, I could almost make sense of he and his wife having a physical altercation which ended in her death - I mean, you hear about stuff like that happening all the time. What I could not (and still cannot) make sense of in my head is him killing his own child. As a parent, this just boggles my mind. Doing something like that totally goes against all instincts that one has as a parent. I would jump in front of a bullet for my kids; I would sacrifice my safety for theirs in a heartbeat. There's no way in hell that I could ever do anything to deliberately harm them. Which is why I'm convinced that this man had a complete psychological break with reality. I do hope that the coming days bring some answers, and with it, some closure and peace to the families of the deceased.

Then DH shared this article with me; suffice it to say, despite the fact that I bitch and complain about my DH, I'm damn happy that I'm married and settled down and I don't have to deal with the Peter Pans that are (apparently) cruising the Hamptons searching for vapid 25-year olds. I swear, if the DH gets hit by a bus tomorrow, I'm just going to get a cat and a parrot and live alone in single blessedness (and you get extra points if you know who said that...I'm not witty enough to make something like that up)

What else? Oh, one of the girls speech therapists loaned me a replacement music box for Dr. D; as soon as she set her eyes on it, her little hands started flapping and she said "music!", grabbed up the box, and jumped up on the couch and began to rock out. She looked so happy.

I made it back to the dentist for my second visit - and survived without crying - thanks to another 10mg Valium, my MP3 player, noise-cancelling headphones, and a playlist consisting of the most obnoxiously loud metal I have in my collection.

Miss Princess was testing her limits this week. She was pressing my buttons at every opportunity. Just yesterday, she threw something at the OT - and not in a "I'm pissed off" kind of way, but in a "I'm going to take out one of your limbs with this thing" kind of way. Needless to say, she's spent quite a bit of time in Time Out this week.

I'm exhausted, and we're doing a BBQ tomorrow - so I'm off to bed - hope you're having a great weekend!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you have your hands full. I was a nanny for a while a very long time ago now, to an autistic child of six. She was low-functioning, and very much a challenge when I was 16. That said, the little things did keep me going.

    First time here! Michele sent me! Happy Friday!

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger carmilevy said…

    I, too, am absolutely puzzled by the Benoit murder-suicide. It goes against my very DNA, and I don't understand how anybody could cross that line.

    I'll hug my kids a little more in the days to come. It's all I can do when the world around us seems so illogical at times.

     
  • At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One really can't fathom how can one kill one own child. In India, a few cases of mothers killing their kids before commiting suicide has been seen. It mostly happens in the lower strata. This really makes me sick!

    Here from Michele's!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home