They never cease...
To surprise me.
This week, the girls' teachers and I took them to the movies for the first time. We went to see "Meet the Robinsons". I was convinced that (a) as soon as the lights went down, Miss Princess would scream her head off, and we'd be forced to leave or (b) they would never last through an entire movie and we'd be forced to leave. I was totally wrong on both counts. They showed a Disney short before the move, and Miss Princess pointed and yelled, "MICKEY!" I didn't even know she knew who Mickey Mouse was. She munched on candy, and watched the movie intently. Dr. D was dancing in her seat to music, and (while she had a few squirmy moments), she hung in there. At the end, when the house lights came up, Miss Princess clapped her hands and yelled, "YAY!" Then we went to Mickey D's for dinner. Neither of them ate much, but it was the whole point of going, you know?
I have friends with kids who are "normal" and they weren't able to sit through a movie until they were 4 years old and better. For my kids who aren't even three yet, and have issues to boot to sit still for nearly two hours - THIS IS BIG.
It's late, and I'm tired, but I had to stop in and share this news with you. "Shrek 3" is coming out during the girls' birthday week, and we've already made plans to go see it!
This is SO BIG. Thanks for letting me share!
This week, the girls' teachers and I took them to the movies for the first time. We went to see "Meet the Robinsons". I was convinced that (a) as soon as the lights went down, Miss Princess would scream her head off, and we'd be forced to leave or (b) they would never last through an entire movie and we'd be forced to leave. I was totally wrong on both counts. They showed a Disney short before the move, and Miss Princess pointed and yelled, "MICKEY!" I didn't even know she knew who Mickey Mouse was. She munched on candy, and watched the movie intently. Dr. D was dancing in her seat to music, and (while she had a few squirmy moments), she hung in there. At the end, when the house lights came up, Miss Princess clapped her hands and yelled, "YAY!" Then we went to Mickey D's for dinner. Neither of them ate much, but it was the whole point of going, you know?
I have friends with kids who are "normal" and they weren't able to sit through a movie until they were 4 years old and better. For my kids who aren't even three yet, and have issues to boot to sit still for nearly two hours - THIS IS BIG.
It's late, and I'm tired, but I had to stop in and share this news with you. "Shrek 3" is coming out during the girls' birthday week, and we've already made plans to go see it!
This is SO BIG. Thanks for letting me share!





5 Comments:
At 12:49 AM,
David Edward said…
i am so glad that you and your girls enjoyed this event.
it is huge. I applaud you for your efforts on their behalf.
Yay mom!
ere from michele
At 1:18 AM,
Paul Nichols said…
Sounds like fun. Kids are the best at showing us just how resilient they can be, huh? And you sound like a good mom. Blessings.
Came here from Michele's.
PS: Our grandson has autism, too. He's six now.
At 9:48 AM,
ThirtyWhat said…
Congratulations!!! Over the years, your girls will surprise you in a thousand different wonderful ways ...
Some people will try to convince you to expect the worst ... but it's moments like those that totally prove those jerks wrong! HUGS!
At 12:21 AM,
Catherine said…
Gee, I have trouble sitting through a movie sometimes! Only kidding - well, sort of - at home I always iron or something in front of the TV, otherwise I start to get edgy. Your girls did great, I'm sure all the work you have put in has paid off. Michele says hi.
At 11:31 PM,
Anonymous said…
Wow, how awesome is that?!?!?!
Congratulations.
~K!
via Michele
Post a Comment
<< Home