Diary of a Mad SAHM

Don't ask me - I just vent here.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Virus, Schmirus.

I am SO fecking tired of my kids being sick.

I've gotten absolutely NOTHING done this week. The girls were off from school on Monday, they went to school Tuesday...I attended Open School week on Wednesday (more on that in a minute)...afterward, I hit the mall for a little retail therapy (or early holiday shopping, whatever), and I got the call from the school nurse that Miss Princess had a fever of 101 and could I come pick her up.

Christ.

By the time I got Princess home, she had a temp of 103. Mind you, she was on day 5 of her Zithromax. The doctor said her ears and chest are clear, her throat is red - she did a throat culture and said to just watch her temps. She said that most likely this thing is just a virus; a product of the girls being in school for the first time, sticking crap into their mouths that they shouldn't, hugging and kissing their friends, etc. And there's nothing to do but let it run its course.

Great. Thanks. Here's my co-pay. Go jump off a cliff.

The next morning, Princess woke with a fever of 104. I freaked out. I always get crazy where Princess and fevers are concerned since she was in the hospital as a baby for dehydration. So I did everything one should do - tepid bath, Motrin, Pedialyte. Her temp dropped over the course of the day, but spiked again at night...and woke up today with a temp of 103.7. Throughout all of this, she's alert, she's playing...clearly uncomfortable and not feeling herself, but not "acting" sick either - a good sign. The problem is, since her diet is already so limited, its been hell trying to get her to eat anything. When she's sick, I'll let her eat just about anything. She had chocolate pudding for breakfast yesterday. I'm having a hell of a time getting her to drink liquids - her throat is hurting, so she won't swallow. I've resorted to shooting fluids down her throat with a medicine dropper. I'm literally exhausted from saying, "Princess, drink", "Princess, sip your juice". all friggen day. That, and watching episodes of "Yo Gabba gabba" back to back all day.

It's like I told my girlfriend Danielle - if this is any indication of how my winter is going to be, I'm packing a bag and checking into a hotel until the spring thaw.

OK - Open school week was GREAT - I spent more time in Dr. D's classroom, and it was awesome. So nice to see how well my kids have adjusted to school.

Now, if I could just get them well enough to actually ATTEND school for an entire week, that would be something.

By this time next week, the turkey will have been picked clean, and I'll likely be munching on turkey and stuffing sammies. If you're celebrating Thanksgiving, enjoy!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is so hard when kids get sick. The good thing is it does last forever!

    Do take care. Michele sent me here to give you a quick hug!

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger Jerry in Tampa said…

    AWESOME!!!! You are a wild woman - like a juggler in the circus - talk about multi-tasking!!!!

    More power to you!

    Hello, Michele sent me.

    Jerry in Tampa

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger David Edward said…

    we DEFINITELY celebrate thanksgiving.
    giving thanks to God, and for our great family, gathered around our gracefully aging mother, Dorothy, who has seen 88 Thanksgiving days.
    ( man that is a lot of pie and whipped cream, come to think of it)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home