Is this what a mid life crisis is like?
It's Friday. It's rainy and awful here. Luckily the weather is supposed to improve for tomorrow. Tomorrow is my birthday. I got a call from my dad yesterday. The call went like this:
Dad: "So, your birthday is this weekend huh?"
me: "Yea, That's what they tell me."
Dad: "Mom told me you're 36. MAN, that's OLD!"
me: "mom had to TELL you how old I was?"
Dad: "I don't like to think about it, because it reflects on how old I am"
me: "Yea well, I remember when YOU turned 36; I remember thinking, 'wow, he's old', WTF should I say about you now?"
Dad: "bye now"
I am 36 fuckin' years old tomorrow at 12:24pm exactly.
And sometimes I feel it. Yesterday I lost a squirt bottle that I'd be using to clean baby S.; she has the diaper rash from hell, so I've been using water instead of baby wipes. I remember changing her diaper, putting the bottle down...somewhere....and it disappeared. I tore the house upside down looking for it - not just because I needed it for S., but because I was so pissed off with myself for not being able to remember where I'd put it. If you'd talked to me yesterday afternoon, I'd have told you that I was positive that I was in the beginning stages of Alzheimers.
Then late last night, after a visit to Kim's to complete my 20 Christmas cards for the swap tomorrow, I was in the car, and put on some old house music. And by that I mean early 90's acid house. I remembered dancing all night at The World with my girl Donna who was home from Stonybrook. Those were the fucking days, and they don't seem like so long ago. In my head, I still feel like I'm in my 20's. It's just the rest of me that won't get with the program.
So DH is taking me out to dinner, a movie, and a night with the girls out of the house. Yay me!
For those of you stopping by this weekend, please pretend you know me, and please humor me and tell me that I don't look a day over 29. Mucho thanks.
Here's this week's Friday Fiver
1. How did you learn about yesterday's bombings in London? - I saw it on the news just as I turned on the TV, right before I put on "Sesame Street" for the girls
2. Do you have any personal connections to the area? - thankfully, no.
3. Do you use public transportation? - not anymore. That's only because I no longer commute to work. Now I just walk downstairs.
4. Have you ever let threats of terrorism change the way that you live each day? - No, you can't because then they've won.
5. If you could say something directly to the person or group responsible for this tragedy, what would you say? - Y'all are just a bunch of fucking cowards. Hell is too good a place for you.
Dad: "So, your birthday is this weekend huh?"
me: "Yea, That's what they tell me."
Dad: "Mom told me you're 36. MAN, that's OLD!"
me: "mom had to TELL you how old I was?"
Dad: "I don't like to think about it, because it reflects on how old I am"
me: "Yea well, I remember when YOU turned 36; I remember thinking, 'wow, he's old', WTF should I say about you now?"
Dad: "bye now"
I am 36 fuckin' years old tomorrow at 12:24pm exactly.
And sometimes I feel it. Yesterday I lost a squirt bottle that I'd be using to clean baby S.; she has the diaper rash from hell, so I've been using water instead of baby wipes. I remember changing her diaper, putting the bottle down...somewhere....and it disappeared. I tore the house upside down looking for it - not just because I needed it for S., but because I was so pissed off with myself for not being able to remember where I'd put it. If you'd talked to me yesterday afternoon, I'd have told you that I was positive that I was in the beginning stages of Alzheimers.
Then late last night, after a visit to Kim's to complete my 20 Christmas cards for the swap tomorrow, I was in the car, and put on some old house music. And by that I mean early 90's acid house. I remembered dancing all night at The World with my girl Donna who was home from Stonybrook. Those were the fucking days, and they don't seem like so long ago. In my head, I still feel like I'm in my 20's. It's just the rest of me that won't get with the program.
So DH is taking me out to dinner, a movie, and a night with the girls out of the house. Yay me!
For those of you stopping by this weekend, please pretend you know me, and please humor me and tell me that I don't look a day over 29. Mucho thanks.
Here's this week's Friday Fiver
1. How did you learn about yesterday's bombings in London? - I saw it on the news just as I turned on the TV, right before I put on "Sesame Street" for the girls
2. Do you have any personal connections to the area? - thankfully, no.
3. Do you use public transportation? - not anymore. That's only because I no longer commute to work. Now I just walk downstairs.
4. Have you ever let threats of terrorism change the way that you live each day? - No, you can't because then they've won.
5. If you could say something directly to the person or group responsible for this tragedy, what would you say? - Y'all are just a bunch of fucking cowards. Hell is too good a place for you.

7 Comments:
At 7:35 PM,
Heather said…
Hello, Michele sent me.
Happy Birthday. You don't look a day over 24!
At 12:02 AM,
kenju said…
You are six days older than one of my children! She will be 36 on the 15th. Have a great birthday; and thanks for stopping by my place.
P.S. I've been in this relationship longer than MOST people have been alive! (or maybe it just seems that way?) LOL
At 2:06 PM,
Angie said…
Happy Birthday! 36 is not old!! What movie did you see?? Love your firday five.
Michele sent me this time. :)
At 3:39 PM,
HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said…
Thanks for visiting today. If you liked today's mix, come back at Christmas. And yes, She Sells Sanctuary can still rock it out.
At 3:39 PM,
HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said…
Thanks for visiting today. If you liked today's mix, come back at Christmas. And yes, She Sells Sanctuary can still rock it out.
At 3:43 PM,
HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said…
Sorry for the repeats--having a little trouble with the computer this afternoon. And sorry as well for confusing your comment with someone elses, but after seeing your profile, and your favorite music, it was an honest mistake.
At 12:01 PM,
Carrie said…
just checking in to see how the birthday was!!!!
Can't wait to hear about it... hope it was a good one!
XXOO
Post a Comment
<< Home