I'm the WORST MOM EVER.
This afternoon, I was changing diapers and putting the girls on the floor to play. I had the phone with me because I was planning on calling DH after I got the girls settled in. I use an earbud-type headset with my cordless phone (its amazing how easy it is to make phone calls while washing dishes with one of those things).
I turned my back for a nanosecond, and D. was eating the headset. And choking. She'd eaten the little sponge-like cushion off the earbud and was CHOKING ON IT.
I tried to open her mouth, but she locked her mouth shut. Against all that I'd read, I tried to sweep my finger around her mouth, she's crying, and still choking. I try to do a heimlich (sp?), and she's gagging, and she pukes. The sponge thing never emerges. I'm about ready to call 911 when I realize that if she's crying, she's breathing. She stopped gagging. I gave her a bottle of water, and within 5 minutes she's jumping on the couch, laughing and playing. I'm shaking so hard I can barely breathe myself.
I have a girlfriend who's gone through this several times with her own kids, but its the first time its happened to me. I feel like the worst mom in the world tonite.
Can anyone identify with this? Someone raise a hand please.
I turned my back for a nanosecond, and D. was eating the headset. And choking. She'd eaten the little sponge-like cushion off the earbud and was CHOKING ON IT.
I tried to open her mouth, but she locked her mouth shut. Against all that I'd read, I tried to sweep my finger around her mouth, she's crying, and still choking. I try to do a heimlich (sp?), and she's gagging, and she pukes. The sponge thing never emerges. I'm about ready to call 911 when I realize that if she's crying, she's breathing. She stopped gagging. I gave her a bottle of water, and within 5 minutes she's jumping on the couch, laughing and playing. I'm shaking so hard I can barely breathe myself.
I have a girlfriend who's gone through this several times with her own kids, but its the first time its happened to me. I feel like the worst mom in the world tonite.
Can anyone identify with this? Someone raise a hand please.

3 Comments:
At 11:35 PM,
carmilevy said…
We've all been there. You're in great company. That's parenthood, in a nutshell. You sound more normal than most.
Here from Michele's tonight. Love your blog.
At 9:24 PM,
Susie said…
This is a big fear of mine. The first choking. I used to choke on everything. I was constantly being held upside down by an ankle while being whacked on the back. You did good, girl!
At 10:17 AM,
Carrie said…
apparently band-aides are yummy, too. still can't find the one that was on my pooper's finger on the way home from the pediatrician's.
I was a little worried, but eh... it's not a big car, and she's not a big girl... it's got to show up SOME time!
Post a Comment
<< Home