Diary of a Mad SAHM

Don't ask me - I just vent here.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Case in point...

As a continuation of my rant on lazy husbands, here's a prime example.

DH comes home from work last night. Finds he's received a DVD he's been waiting for has arrived. Locks self in his "den" watching DVD while I continue taking care of girls - feeding, changing, etc etc. Spends the entire night on the phone with his brother -- working on brother's marital issues. Today he was home from work. I decided to run out and do errands -- food shopping, post office, etc. "Enjoy the vacation..." right?? Not really, you DICK. Because I have to feed the girls before leaving. All he really has to do is make sure no one kills themselves. When I get home two hours later, everyone is in the same spot I left them in -- including DH, who is sitting at his desk, playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

...I try to look on the bright side. At least he picked up some of the cat puke.

Today is Good Friday for us Catholics. My MIL is one of those holy-rollers who spends her whole day in church. When we used to live with her, Good Friday was a "day of mourning". There was to be no TV, no music, blah blah. Fucking exhausting. Tomorrow she and the blind aunt are coming over for lunch/dinner. DH will be going to see her as usual -- they're doing a "cemetary run". This is when MIL and auntie get chauferred out to the Bronx by DH, and they "visit" all of the dead relatives. They essentially pack a lunch and stay for the day -- they visit EVERYONE. At each gravesite, they sit down on folding chairs, and say the rosary - once in English, and once in Spanish. Good times, good times. So then they're coming over and I'll have to tolerate her for several hours. I'm going to my mother's Easter Sunday for a slammin' lasagna. Can't wait.

Rather than adopt my MIL's point of view, I try instead to define this holiday by the pagan feast of Ostara. This Sabbat is a time to celebrate the arrival of Spring, when light and darkness are in balance but the light is growing stronger. The forces of masculine energy and feminine energy are also in balance and this day marks paves the way for the coming lushness of Summer. Ostara is a time for the celebration of fertility and balance, a time when all elements within and without us are brought into harmony. A time of new life and rebirth, as well as the end of Winter.

...but I'm still gonna eat my Peeps. And no, to those who asked; I don't put them in the microwave. The mere idea freaks me out.

This week's meme brought to you by The Friday Five. Feel free to jump in.

1. What is your favorite movie of all time? I'd have to say "Now, Voyager" with Bette Davis
2. How often do you watch this movie? - whenever its on.
3. What's your favorite line out of the whole movie? "Don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars"
4. Who's your favorite character from this movie? - Bette Davis' character, Charlotte Vale
5. What scene do you love the most? - The first time she's seen after being institutionalized. She is elegant, gorgeous, and carries herself so well. Everytime I see it, I think, "Damn, I want to be THAT".

1 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Michele said…

    Your posts never fail to make me laugh, this one is no exception. Confession: I have never had a peep. Ever. Do you feel sorry for me?

    Speaking of old movies:
    I took your suggestion and rented The Penny Arcade. It was simply wonderful. Tissues were required. Thank you for the suggestion..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home