Here's where you say, "Well, DUH..."
I've been pretty bad about the girls and their naps. My manager with CTMH, Kim, tells me about ther 3-year-old twins still napping for two hours a day -- and I think, "there's no earthly way my girls will do that." For the longest time, I was content to allow the girls to catnap in their swings. But as they're getting older, they just weren't getting a nice, long nap that way. And with the Early Intervention folks in and out of the house, by the time lunchtime comes around the girls are so fried, they're only too happy to go take a nap. As such, only this week did I begin taking them up to their beds for naps. I expected crying, tantrums and the like. I reasoned that even if they didn't nap, if they got some "quiet time" I'd be happy.
Once again, my kids surprise the shit out of me. They're loving the naps. They nap for close to 90 minutes!! They hang out in their cribs, chatting and such for about ten minutes, then they knock out. I've even taken the liberty of taking a siesta myself. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not doing this sooner.
And now, you get to say, "well, DUUUHHH..." Yeah, yeah. I know.
Don't tell on me, but I "called in sick" to EI this morning. I had the OT therapist coming at 10:30 -- I was exhausted, the kitty litter needed to be changed, and still hadn't showered. So I called her and told her that one of the girls was running a fever. I just couldn't deal with it today. The EI folks are submitting their status reports very soon, and the speech, special ed and OT therapists are all going to recommend that we increase the number of sessions the girls are receiving. The whole process is starting to wear me down. I am seeing improvement in the girls, and because of that reason, I'll continue with it. But I find that I'm constantly having to remind these folks of what the girls ARE doing now that they weren't doing three months ago -- they seem to fixate on what the girls still ARE NOT doing, and that frustrates me. I suppose that is my role in this whole thing -- to be their advocate and speak for them, yes?
We've made appointments for the girls to get the vision and hearing tests, and we also made an appointment with the peds neurologist. I'm dreading that appointment most of all. I'm literally terrified that someone is going to tell me that my kids have ADHD or something, and its my fault because they watch TV. Hell, I watched TV as a kid, and I turned out (sort of) all right. The mere thought of it gives me stomach cramps.
I've got a busy weekend coming up - so here's the Friday Fiver - hope you have a great weekend, no matter what you're doing!
Name your favorite....
1. Soothing sound: - water -- rain, the ocean, etc.
2. Comfort food: - good vanilla ice cream, mac & cheese or mom's baked ziti
3. Relaxing music: - Tori Amos, or Christmas music
4. Gentle voice: - my babies.
5. Calming smell:- my babies : )
Once again, my kids surprise the shit out of me. They're loving the naps. They nap for close to 90 minutes!! They hang out in their cribs, chatting and such for about ten minutes, then they knock out. I've even taken the liberty of taking a siesta myself. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not doing this sooner.
And now, you get to say, "well, DUUUHHH..." Yeah, yeah. I know.
Don't tell on me, but I "called in sick" to EI this morning. I had the OT therapist coming at 10:30 -- I was exhausted, the kitty litter needed to be changed, and still hadn't showered. So I called her and told her that one of the girls was running a fever. I just couldn't deal with it today. The EI folks are submitting their status reports very soon, and the speech, special ed and OT therapists are all going to recommend that we increase the number of sessions the girls are receiving. The whole process is starting to wear me down. I am seeing improvement in the girls, and because of that reason, I'll continue with it. But I find that I'm constantly having to remind these folks of what the girls ARE doing now that they weren't doing three months ago -- they seem to fixate on what the girls still ARE NOT doing, and that frustrates me. I suppose that is my role in this whole thing -- to be their advocate and speak for them, yes?
We've made appointments for the girls to get the vision and hearing tests, and we also made an appointment with the peds neurologist. I'm dreading that appointment most of all. I'm literally terrified that someone is going to tell me that my kids have ADHD or something, and its my fault because they watch TV. Hell, I watched TV as a kid, and I turned out (sort of) all right. The mere thought of it gives me stomach cramps.
I've got a busy weekend coming up - so here's the Friday Fiver - hope you have a great weekend, no matter what you're doing!
Name your favorite....
1. Soothing sound: - water -- rain, the ocean, etc.
2. Comfort food: - good vanilla ice cream, mac & cheese or mom's baked ziti
3. Relaxing music: - Tori Amos, or Christmas music
4. Gentle voice: - my babies.
5. Calming smell:- my babies : )

4 Comments:
At 5:05 PM,
Sleeping Mommy said…
You know, each of my kids have been drastically different than each other in their nap habits. The oldest just refused, early on he gave it up and I couldn't do anything to change it.
My middle, she still lays down to nap but it has to be on her terms. Little control freak.
My baby has been the gem (knock on wood) of the three when it comes to napping. He's nearly a year and still taking two and somtimes three naps a day and they usually last over an hour sometimes longer!
Glad your girls are napping for you now. It's the relief we all need--their down time and ours.
Thanks for visiting me via Michele's meet and greet!
At 10:31 PM,
kenju said…
I used to nap when my kids did all the time. My first born got to nap on my chest everyday. There is nothing like having a sleeping baby on your body - and nothing as good as a baby smell.
Michele sent me.
At 11:57 PM,
utenzi said…
Michele sent me, Christine.
No kids here so naps aren't an issue. It sounds like a godsend for you though.
1. sound: rain and wind during mild storm
2. comfort food: that I make would be mac&cheese casserole, overall would be goulash that my mother makes. I can get the seasoning right.
3. music: nothing specific, it's mood dependent
4. voice: none, people always bother me
5. smell: honeysuckle followed by jasmine
At 2:46 PM,
Ciera said…
I have "well, DUH" moments all the time.
Sound: gentle rain
comfort food: mac and cheese
music: soft worship music, like Jason Ingram
voice: Used to be my Praise and Worship leaders, but he's not talking to me right now so I'm going to have to find a new one!
smell: I am usually clogged due to allergies...I love the smell of lilacs though...does that count????
Post a Comment
<< Home